If you are a musician or in a band and you are searching for a way to present and share your music, using WordPress is one method that is free and easy-to-use, regardless of your knowledge with HTML, CSS and programming altogether. WordPress is known as one of the most popular free CMS (content management systems) options available and comes packed with features that allow you to easily update and share anything from text posts to live video and music feeds, depending on your use for the application.
When you want to use WordPress, and you are looking for the best WordPress music themes, it is important to conduct research before purchasing a theme to find a match that works for your artistic style and with the way you envision presenting and sharing your music with loyal fans and potential listeners. Below is a current list of the most popular themes for musicians and artists who wish to share music while growing their listener base.
The MyMagazine WordPress theme is a robust theme that features articles, photos, and even video files, depending on the type of media you want to share.
- Integrated content slider
- Unlimited number of sidebars
- Homepage is widget ready
- PSD files are included to easily access
- More than 22 shortcodes can be used
- Portfolio and gallery page integration
Pros: Comes with 7 skins for ease of customization, giving your site the look and feel you desire.
Cons: The theme is not specifically designed for musicians.
#9. Eventalist: Events WordPress Theme
Eventalist is another WordPress theme from ThemeForest that focuses on creating and highlighting events of companies, musicians or for personal use.
- Uses shortcodes for easy integration of events, posts, and thumbnails
- Integrated with Google Maps to help your fans find your event locations within a few seconds
- Various page templates available
- Unlimited events can be added into the site without restrictions
Pros: Includes full PSD files to edit work with ease if you decide to change the layout’s look. SEO (search engine optimization) is complete as the theme is fully optimized to help your site reach its full potential within search engines.
Cons: The theme is not musician-specific and may require tweaking for a look that fits your band or artist personality.
The Rockstar theme was created with only musicians in mind. This theme is ideal for sharing photo galleries of gigs while sharing upcoming events and blog posts. You can also upload your music in MP3 format with this theme with ease.
- Custom admin panel for easy updates and access to your media library (with songs and video).
- Use of shortcodes to easily add contact forms, quote marks, and lists to your posts.
- Integrated photo gallery
- Music player that has the ability to recognize nearly all music file types. You can also integrate the music player on pages and posts using a simple short code.
Pros: Especially created to share music and to highlight artist photos and upcoming events. Easy logo replacement and also includes full PSD (Photoshop Document) files for editing purposes.
Cons: Not highly customizable without knowledge of CSS and HTML.
#7. Phiyaz Entertainment & Community Theme
The Phiyaz Entertainment & Community Theme is a great theme if you are looking for a way to blog while also sharing information about your music and lifestyle. The Entertainment & Community theme focuses on text-based articles, but also has the ability to have pages for sharing photos and music.
- Custom widgets allowed
- Integrated plugins
- WordPress thumbnail feature integration
- Easy to login/register (one page)
- Use of jquery for smooth design
- Nested commenting system for sleek look
Pros: Easy to create a user base with a one-page login and registration system.
Cons: Not as focused on single artists or bands specifically (or sharing music and videos), but on updates and the blogging aspect instead.
Stylico is a theme that works well for DJS and musicians who are looking for a layout that specializes in sharing releases, single hits, and upcoming gigs as well. The theme is robust and should be used if you have plenty of updates to offer and an ongoing stream of content to be uploaded.
- 3 custom post types included (release, slide, and gig)
- 960 grid system used
- Allows for custom releases and gigs pages
Pros: Valid HTML 5 & CSS3, which works well in multiple browsers. The theme has also been fully translated into German as well for international users.
Cons: Restricted design (unless you are familiar with editing WordPress themes yourself).
When you are a band that is touring or an artist who wants to showcase your upcoming events and gigs, the Eventure theme is an ideal fit.
- Fully integrated event widget with a calendar to showcase events. Calendar-specific layout
- 15 full combinations to choose from when designing the layout
- Easy access to change and customize logo
- Supports Google Fonts
- Works well on mobile devices like iPads, iPhones, Android phones, etc
Pros: Makes full use of the integrated calendar widget to never allow space to go unused. This is great to keep fans interests and excited about upcoming shows and concerts.
Cons: Focused highly on the event aspect of the musician, and may not be ideal if you are searching for a website to showcase more than just events (such as band information, history, and merchandise).
MediaScene’s Music Premium Theme is a perfect fit for any artist who is looking for a website to focus around not only the music, but the history and background of the music along with galleries of photos and the integration of videos as well.
- Content slider to include albums, band photos, and merchandise
- More than 8 built-in widgets including social networking widgets, audio players and testimonial widgets to share with your fans.
- 25 Google fonts pre-installed to use
- Video support along with streaming audio support
Sophisticated design with the ability to change colors of the layout. Easy integration and upload of photos and media content including music and video material. Includes PSD files to customize graphics of theme and it is also translation ready if you have fans around the world.
Very content-specific and works best only with musicians who are looking to share album information, photos, and current music.
The Premier Audio WP Theme is ideal for bands and nightclubs that want to showcase flyers, posters and other graphic-heavy material to potential fans.
- Widget panel with easy access (slideout)
- Ajax integration
- Full screen backgrounds
- Logo customization integration
- Link color options (unlimited)
Pros: Includes a video walk-through to get acquainted with the theme and how it works. Modern flash appearance with the inclusion of Ajax.
Cons: Very image-heavy, possible lagging on slower computers.
The Musicians Theme & Facebook App is ideal for any music artist looking to quickly connect with Facebook for sharing and streaming purposes. This theme is ideal to integrate with Facebook fan pages and allows you to quickly add music to stream to your audience.
- Content and image slider included
- Customized calendar to keep track of events and gigs
- Google maps integration to showcase events and to share directions
- Newsletter signup
- Twitter widgets included
Pros: Includes over 90 hours of video tutorials to help you with working with the theme. Additionally, also helps to set up your Facebook fan page while connecting it to stream your post updates.
Cons: Restricted on design and requires knowledge of CSS and HTML to change design for yourself.
The Multimedia WordPress theme is one of the most popular themes for WordPress and for anyone working in the music, video, or entertainment industry. It is a ThemeForest template that comes with 7 styles to choose from that works flawlessly with the base template.
- Full Ajax control
- Custom field options
- 7 widgets ready to use
Pros: Comes with 11 full videos to help you with installing and working with the theme.
Cons: Does not feature traditional text posts as standard formatting.
As you can see there are a variety of options when seeking the best WordPress music theme depending on whether you want something ready out of the box, a solid back-end to have your graphic artist friend make dazzle, or maybe create a localized music events website that is more about music happenings presentation than your individual band’s style. It also depends on if you and/or your band promote yourself via social media (you should) or what function you really want your website to serve versus a fan page on Facebook or Google + depending on your preferred flavor. You can also integrate your blog to have your posts also appear on your social media platforms so really WordPress provides you the tools, you just need to decide how you want to use them to most benefit your band.